Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Element of Fire

When I got up this morning, the outside temp was a balmy 10 degrees. The inside temp was about 58. Both have since increased slightly. I found myself looking at the calendar, trying to figure out how long it will be until I can go lay on the dock, and bake in the sun. It's going to be a long time. I just haven't been able to get warm for the last two days, no matter how many sweaters I have on. I think this is a function of having Fibromyalgia and CFS. The winter season has gone from being a time of joy for me, to one of just wanting it to be over. But, I digress.

Since I have been so cold, I choose to focus on the element of Fire, and it's corresponding direction, South. While we all know that the Sun is hottest in a south-facing window, there are some surprising correlations of this element. While the power of a full-fledged fire can be devastating, fire can also be healing when it's managed. Scrying into a campfire, or even a candle flame is one of my favorite form of short meditations. I am a complete nut when it comes to campfires and bonfires. Not that I would ever have a fire outside of a proper container-not that kind of nut! I just find it so beautiful, and useful. I like the freedom I feel when I toss old writings and spells, such as from my Spirit jar, onto the flames. It's cleansing and a completion of the work that I had done. One of the reasons I like to go camping so much is because I get to play with fire all weekend. I have a knickname for these excursions: Woman who F%$*s with Fire. Cute, huh? I just can't help myself.
Other realms of Fire are sex, love, and transformation.

Here are some correspondences for the element of Fire:
  • Magickal tool: knife/athame
  • Herbs: chilies, thistle, nettles(thorny things), coffee, dragon's blood, hot spices
  • Stones: Carnelian, lava rock, jaspers, clear quartz
  • Animals: salamander, snake, scorpions, lady bugs, shark
  • Zodiac: Aries, Sagittarius, Leo (that's me!)
  • Oils: Basil, copal, neroli, pettigrain, peppermint

There are so many aspects of Fire in the natural world. This list is by no means complete. One of my favorite kinds of spellwork is candle magick. I find it so effective! Stay tuned for more on that subject!

No comments: