Saturday, April 28, 2007

I wonder who this was?

On Easter morning, I went out to fill the bird feeder next to the house. I looked down and found these HUGE tracks on the new snow! They came out of the little critter trail out back, went along the side of the house and right next to the deck. We have considered all kinds of critters when trying to figure out who left these at our house. Because the tracks are about 4 inches long, and the stride between them is huge, we really aren't sure. I was really hoping it was a giant cat track, as that would mean we had been visited by the ever elusive, legendary mountain lion!


But after comparing tracks shown in my books and on-line, we've narrowed it down to some kind of canine track. That means that this was an enormous dog!Now, there aren't any dogs like this in the area, at least that we are aware of. We have coyote near here, but they usually aren't so big. There are no wolves here in Massachusetts. Perhaps it was a pet dog that got loose the night before, but I really doubt it. So this remains a mystery. And since I like a mystery, I that I would share it with you.

No comments: