Sunday, January 7, 2007

Cosmic Debris

Do you look up in the night sky and wonder if that pattern of stars you seem to see is a particular constellation? Well, here's a site that will help you find out! This is from the Hubble Telescope Official Site, managed by Nasa. There's so much fun info to look at here, including the Hubble photo of the day, among other things. http://hubblesite.org/
I found a flash presentation about the monthly night sky and thought you might like to see it: http://hubblesite.org/explore_astronomy/tonights_sky/
Turn up your speakers, as there is an audio explanation of what you are seeing.

When I moved out to my current home from living in town, the night sky became part of my nightly routine again. When I was a little girl, my Dad taught me all about the constellations. I used to be able to sort them out, but I'm afraid that I don't remember what I'm looking at anymore. I'm hoping to re-learn some of it. We seem to see shooting stars out here much more often than when I lived in Greenfield. We don't have the street lights here to dim the view.
Tonight is supposed to cloud up and the weather turn bad. We won't be able to see the sky, but I'm going to take a look at that website and find out what I would be able to see if it was clear.

Can you see the stars at night where you live?
Have a great day,
tracyw

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Tracy - great site about the night sky! Thanks. Have you checked www.stardate.org? It has a daily update on what's happening.